Major Differences between Transactional & Promotional SMS:
- Sms to DND enabled numbers are allowed in Transactional Route; not allowed in Promotional.
- Transactional Route is active 24/7; Promotional route is active only between 9Am-9Pm.
- Transactional SMS are Template Based, Promotional sms are non-template based.
- Any Commercial advertising via transactional sms would lead to legal penalty; All promotions are allowed in Promotional Route only.
- DND Undertaking Documentation Required for Transactional Route; No documentation Required for Promotional Route
- Branded Sender ID available on all packages in transactional SMS Route; Branded Sender ID available only on 10,000 SMS or higher packages in promotional Route and for Limited time. By Default, Promotional sms goes through Numeric Sender ID. Eg: LM-267326
Promotional SMS Samples:
- Get Flat 10% Off on Hotel Booking, Same has been updated on the portal. Login now and start booking !
- Free EMI Processing Fee, Book your Apartment today for Just 1,00,000 INR and pay rest through easy installments. Contact XXXYYY
Transactional SMS Samples (Needs Approval):
- Dear Parent, Your Child/Ward attendance in the class is not upto the mark. Hence, you are requested to meet our Director #Variable# ASAP.
- Dear #Variable#, Thanks for your enquiry!! We keep in touch with you ASAP. Kindly check your Email ID for more information. Have a nice day. If it’s urgent call #Variable# or mail to #Variable#
- Dear #variable#, your payment for the month of #Variable# with amount #Variable# is pending.
Note: #Variable# mentioned above can be replaced as you wish.
So how to choose which route you need? – Its pretty simple, if you’re promoting something, choose Promotional Route; If you want to send some important alert or reminder sms, choose Transactional SMS Route.
Transactional SMS Service by SmsHorizon
According to latest TRAI regulations, SMS sent by entities with informational Content are considered as Transactional SMS and are allowed to terminate on all mobile numbers, including DND enabled numbers. The service can be used 24 hrs a day. Some of the common usages of Transactional SMS in organizations are mentioned below,
Transactional SMS Usage:
- Messages sent to its customer(s) by the Bank or financial institution or insurance company or credit card company
- Information given by Airlines or Indian Railways or its authorized agencies to its passengers regarding travel schedules, ticket booking and reservation;
- SMS from a registered educational institution to parents or guardians regarding the progress of students;
- Shipping status sent by e-commerce agencies in response to ecommerce orders/payments made by their customers;
- Stock Tips sent by a company or a firm or depository participant to its clients for commodity, stock or spot market, provided they agree to receive the alerts.
- Information sent by a registered company to its employees or agents or to its customers pertaining to services or goods to be delivered to such customers;
Steps to Send Transactional SMS:
- Choose your preferred transactional sms Package & make Payment accordingly – Order Here
- Send us the Scan copy of DND undertaking Document with all details filled. Note that Sender ID and Templates are mandatory.
- Once the Account is activated, you shall start using the service instantly through our web interface or through your application using our HTTP SMS API
Related: Choosing Sender ID for Transactional SMS
Note: Promotional SMS are strictly prohibited in this route and attracts a fine of upto 1Lakh INR as per TRAI regulations. If you’re unaware of SMS Templates, you might need to check out Transactional SMS Template section for more details. See some examples of transactional SMS templates from this section to get a better idea.